Preparation for the pre-examination and the main examination of the EQEepi organises a number of activities which assist candidates to better prepare themselves for the pre-examination and the main examination of the EQE. Particularly epi organizes the so-called “epi tutorials” twice a year, mock-EQEs and for the second time in cooperation with the European Patent Academy an pre-examination online training course.
These epi tutorials and mock-EQEs are found to be very valuable by the tutees as personal feedback on exam papers is not offered elsewhere. Our tutors find it a very rewarding and stimulating activity to assist patent attorney trainees to help them enhance their exam preparation and become sound patent attorneys.
The epi tutorials are EQE training events that provide candidates with an opportunity to sit the A/B/C/D papers privately, to send the papers to an experienced epi tutor assigned to them and to have their individual papers reviewed and discussed.
The schedule is as follows:
1. Candidates enrol indicating the papers they want to sit. The enrolment is confirmed by the epi Secretariat and the candidates are informed about the assigned tutor(s). Two different tutors may be assigned for papers A/B and for papers C/D. A tutor will be assigned to a group of not more than 3 to 5 candidates to allow intensive discussions.
2. In a first round candidates write the papers privately (it is recommended to do so in the time the EQE allows for the particular paper).
3. Candidates send their paper(s) to the tutor they have been assigned to by the epi Secretariat. The tutor reviews the paper(s).
Candidates who do not get an answer to their papers from their tutor by a due date are requested to contact the epi Secretariat immediately.
4. In a second round discussions are scheduled for papers A/B and C/D respectively. The papers are discussed in general, particular problems are addressed, individual solutions commented on and questions answered. The format is flexible: it is up to the tutor and the particular group candidates to decide upon a commonly agreeable form for the tutoring session. In case it is decided that a meeting should be held with all candidates, time and place is to be agreed upon by the tutor and the candidates. The candidates provide in this case their own travel expenses as well as the travel expenses of their tutor. Alternatively a telephone conference could be arranged, but as indicated it is up to the tutor/candidates to agree upon a suitable format.
5. Exam papers to be discussed
Summer tutorial: 2010, 2011, 2012
Autumn tutorial: 2011, 2012, 2013
As each year epi suggests a schedule to ensure a timely feedback and to avoid an overlap of summer and autumn tutorial. This schedule should be seen as a proposal. The final agreement on the date when papers should be returned and the date of the feedback session is to be decided between tutor and candidate(s).
a) Summer tutorial:
Deadline for registration: May 24, 2013
Papers to be returned: June 21, 2013
Feedback to be given until: September 6, 2013
b) Autumn tutorial:
Deadline for registration: September 13, 2013
Papers to be returned: October 18, 2013
Feedback to be given until: December 13, 2013
7. Fees for the tutorials: 180.- € for non epi students
90.- € for epi students
The mock EQEs allow participants to attempt an EQE exam under exam conditions. The participants sit the various papers (A[Ch], A[E/M], B[Ch], B[E/M], C and D) in the same order as during the real exam and are given exactly the same time to sit the paper(s). The exam papers will be selected from previous EQE exams and are chosen for their didactic value. Experienced epi tutors mark the papers. About one month after the mock EQE the tutors discuss the papers in small groups. Each participant receives personal feedback on his/her work.
Participants may sit any combination of papers.
Munich: Mock EQE session on 29 – 31 October 2013
Discussions on 2 – 4 December 2013
"The "Centre d'Etudes Internationales de la Propriété Intellectuelle" (CEIPI) is known for its courses adapted to prepare candidates for the European Qualifying Examination (EQE), increasing their chances of success. Since 2012, the CEIPI has completed its offer by introducing courses preparing candidates for the EQE pre-examination. Please find the complete CEIPI preparation programme for the EQE 2014 here.
Find out more about CEIPI Courses